Wonder Voyage Update: Preparing Now For Future Travel
The travel drought of 2020 has been one of the most unexpected events of my life. As hard as it is to navigate the day to day, where planning feels like vanity, we must remember that this season of unease will one day be over.
Our staff has been working hard to prepare for a future full of travel, both domestic and abroad. Here’s a glimpse of what we’ve been working towards.
What does travel look like in a post-COVID-19 world?
This pandemic has reminded us that travel is a privilege. Responsible travel is our charge. With air travel up 800% since our lowest point in April, we must acknowledge that people are starting to travel again. Though 2020 will continue to remain quiet for Wonder Voyage, we are planning and preparing for a resurgence in 2021.
What does responsible travel look like for Wonder Voyage?
- Research – Wonder Voyage will keep updated on the places we are traveling to in 2021. If we discover safety concerns related to the pandemic, we will work with you to shift locations.
- Social distancing- When we travel, our teams will practice social distancing measures like wearing masks and shifting exploration, service, or meals if social distancing is not possible.
What does responsible travel look like for you as a participant?
- Pack patience- We will pivot our agendas if we feel it keeps the participants safer. You will need to prepare for the unexpected and carry an abundance of patience as changes may need to occur. We need your empathy, knowing we are working hard to bring you an experience of wonder in the safest possible way.
- Stay Safe– You may need to prepare to carry masks, hand sanitizer, wipes, etc… We will keep you apprised of the latest recommendations as your travel date nears.
- Community Respect- There will be a massive difference in how each community we visit will handle travel in the future. You must be ready to follow the guidelines set by that community or country. We will adapt as quickly as possible to keep the flow of the voyage positive.
What is Wonder Voyage doing now to plan for changes in travel?
As you might imagine, with the loss of all of our 202o voyages, Wonder Voyage has had to learn to pivot and plan for the future rather than leading voyages this summer. We are excited about what we’ve developed to help you when we are on the road to travel recovery. We are here for you because Wonder Changes Everything!
Here’s a sampling of what’s brewing in Wonder Voyage:
- An open-source 5-part pilgrimage and mission curriculum to prepare your team.
- Exciting trips in all 50 U.S. states that are within 5 hours of driving from any point in America.
- Several exciting 3-day retreats for groups who want a mini-pilgrimage or mission experience, school trips, pilgrimage training, and urban adventures.
- Several short films on our media page to highlight aspects of Wonder Voyage.
- An expanded FAQ section on the Wonder Voyage site to answer all your questions.
We are learning and adapting just like you are. We have taken advantage of this downtime to reassess where the Wonder Voyage team is and where we are going. We are looking forward to traveling with you again.
After a decade working in parish youth ministry Shawn started Wonder Voyage Missions. Over the last 15 years, WVM has led thousands of pilgrims to over forty countries. Shawn is a storyteller and an award winning filmmaker. He is an author who brings the gift of engaging narrative to our journeys. Shawn is dedicated to creating voyages that give people abundant opportunities to encounter God.