The Dominican Republic is a land of contrasting beauty. She contains both the highest peak and the lowest point in the Caribbean. The Dominican Republic, rich in resource and culture, shares her island with Haiti, making her one of two Caribbean islands to share two nations. Her capital, Santa Domingo, is the oldest permanent European settlement in the New World. In a sense, the Dominican Republic contains the roots of the Americas.
The Dominican Republic is filled with mountain waterfalls, stunning azure waters and pearl beaches, and green plantations that fill her interior. But there is also significant need amongst her population. Many of the Dominican Republic’s rural communities live hand to mouth, giving us a tremendous opportunity to give into their lives but to also learn from their vibrancy and zeal for life. Enjoy the Caribbean through the eyes of the Dominican Republic on your next missions trip or pilgrimage.
- Join a local congregation for a traditional Dominican Republic worship service.
- Visit some of the oldest churches in the Americas.
- Experience a typical DR market place and try your hand at haggling.
- Adopt a small town school and help transform a community.
- Snorkel off one of the Dominican Republic’s most pleasant beaches.
Every Wonder Voyage itinerary (mission trip and/or pilgrimage) is personalized to the desires, direction and personality of each group. This itinerary is only a description of the kind of journey we can create for your unique team.
- Day 1 – Buenos Dias
Welcome to the Dominican Republic, a tiny island nation with a huge heart. You have made the journey to a place where you will see the face of Jesus through the people you serve and the adventures you find. Once you arrive, we’ll drive into the mountainous interior of the country to our home for the week. You will not be disappointed. Beauty is in abundance. Tonight we will prepare our hearts for the exciting week ahead.
- Day 2 – Sabado
It’s Sabbath in the DR and things will be quiet. We will visit a local church and experience the entire service in Spanish. Mejor repasar tu Español. We’ll get a chance to do a little hiking at some spectacular waterfalls and take in a couple of hours of horseback riding in the mountains. As we gather every evening we will share the moments of wonder that we experience each day.
- Day 3 – La Mision de la Escuela
We have a very special mission while we are in the DR, a partnership with a school in a needy community. During the week we will mix our time between putting in a new volleyball court and spending time with the local kids. This cultural exchange will be fueled the love of God. You will transform a community.
- Day 4 – El Mercado
Before we head off to our mission project we will take the morning to explore the local town and do a special challenge. You will get a set amount of money and your team will prepare a meal for another Wonder Voyage team on the base (along with your own team). How outstanding can you make this meal and bless others? In the afternoon we head back to our work project and serve the school.
- Day 5 – Terminar Fuente
On our final day of service we will finish up our projects and create a craft with the kids that we will trade with one another, a physical item to remind us of all the amigos we’ve made over the last few days. We will finish our time at the escuela with a fiesta for the kids. There will be laughter and tears galore.
- Day 6 – Un Dia en la Playa
You have worked hard this weekend. Now it’s time to enjoy some DR ocean time! We’ll have a gorgeous day at the beach enjoying water sports, snorkeling and sand. Back at the base, we will enjoy a celebration dinner and a chance to pass the candle during our last night in the DR.
- Day 7 – Adios Mis Amigos
Nuestro tiempo en la República Dominicana ha llegado a su fin. Hemos hecho buenos amigos, que se sirve con el amor de Cristo y experimentó una nueva forma de vida. Que el final de esta peregrinación será el comienzo de una vida de peregrinación.
Legacy in Dominican Republic
Most people who visit the Dominican Republic go to see mountain waterfalls, stunning azure waters, and pearl beaches. They don’t realize that just beyond the tourist culture that dominates the DR’s coast, there is a population that is living hand to mouth. Many of the Dominican Republic’s mountainous rural communities live in poverty, giving us a tremendous opportunity to serve. Through our partnership with YWAM Jarabacoa over the last decade, we have been able to meet some of the most pressing needs of these communities. Our primary focus is on improving community schools and helping families improve their standard of living. A little bit of love, time, and money can leave a legacy to last a lifetime in the DR.
- Massive renovations on local schools. Work has included adding new roofs, adding walkways, interior and exterior painting, installing new toilets, creating a clean water system, building a basketball court, fencing in the school property, and providing new educational materials for teachers and students, including books and art supplies. After each project is complete we throw a fiesta for the local community with food, games, and music at the school.
- Development projects for the YWAM base and local homes, which included reroofing, installing toilets, pouring concrete floors, cleaning, and renovations that improved standard of living.
- *This is the base cost of the trip. Your cost may differ depending on housing, activities, etc.