Legacy Voyage and BE return from Kenya with a huge opportunity for our community
Two branches of Wonder Voyage joined together for an epic Kenyan experience last week. Legacy Voyages members raised $10,000 to supply a first-of-its-kind school with computers. The invitation-only adventure travel club Boundless Expedition (BE) joined to get a taste of Legacy and enjoy a safari with the team.
For the Legacy portion of the trip, team members broke into smaller groups to share a meal with local families, they were introduced to life in the slums, saw the first-ever Kindergarten class utilizing the laptops provided by the Legacy team, and got to see the work that Ndoto does first-hand. Here is a highlight of some fantastic sites the team experienced.
While there, the team leader, Brent Richardson, discovered another need.
“Given that this was our first interaction with Ndoto, we targeted a small investment. The goal was to see how it went and look for greater giving opportunities once we validated the ministry was sustainable and well-run. Let me say it is as well run as any I have seen. Allison has invested her life here and should teach courses on transforming communities without making them dependent on givers.”
After inquiring what other immediate needs Ndoto has, Brent learned that they are working to raise $17,000 for a van. We have brought this need to the Legacy community, but we also wanted to share the need with the broader Wonder Voyage community as an end-of-year giving opportunity.
How will the van be used?
- The van will help 20+ students who could otherwise not attend the school gets to campus.
- The sports teams can travel together instead of splitting up on public buses or cramming into a few tuk-tuks.
- It will allow staff to get to the retreats easily.
- Honoring the dead is an integral part of the culture. People are buried on ancestral/family land in the rural area – often many hours from Kisumu in interior areas. Ndoto can use this van to transport instruments and people to funerals.
What are the costs, maintenance plan, and timing for the Ndoto van?
- The estimated cost of a used van is $17,000.
- Insurance is estimated at $90 per month, but Allison said they have those funds.
- Ndoto already works closely with a mechanic in the area.
- The compound is large enough to park the van safely.
- Allison believes they could have the van within about a month of receiving the funds.
How can you help?
If you want to donate to this project, you may do so online through Legacy Voyages. If you prefer to mail a check, mark Legacy in the memo line and mail it to:
PO Box 271238
Flower Mound, Texas 75028
Will I receive updates?
If you donate, the Legacy Director will email you as soon as the office processes the funds. You will have the opportunity to be added to the Legacy mailing list if you would like, but it isn’t required.
Please get in touch with the Wonder Voyage office if you have any questions about the project or would like more information about Legacy Voyages or BE.