While horse racing and fields of native Bluegrass may be the first things that come to mind when you think of Kentucky, the state is much more complex than that. The eastern portion of the state is one of the most naturally beautiful places to be found in the Lower 48. At the same time, it is one of the poorest regions in the nation. This environmental richness combined with economic poverty provides unique opportunities to completely immerse oneself in Appalachian culture.
A Wonder Voyage to Kentucky lets you wear an explorer’s hat while using your servant’s muscles. With time dedicated to venturing in the forests, mountains, and canyons, you can breathe free and enjoy the beauty of creation. Serving in the communities of Appalachia provides opportunities to understand poverty and the need for environmental stewardship. The beauty of Kentucky awaits.
- Experience the majesty of creation with a hike to a waterfall.
- Learn about the lives of cloistered monks at a local abbey.
- Explore the mountains, lakes, and forests of the Cumberland Plateau.
- Immerse yourself in the music, artistry, and culture of Appalachia.
- Spend the day in a local soup kitchen and food pantry.
- Swing a hammer with a local outreach that helps families repair their homes.
There is not an example itinerary for Kentucky, please contact [email protected] for specific information about this Wonder Voyage.
Legacy in Kentucky
- *This is the base cost of the trip. Your cost may differ depending on housing, activities, etc.