San Antonio is one of the oldest cities in the United States and is pivotal in American history. This little oasis is best known for her quaint river walk, festive atmosphere, and Hispanic heritage. For Texans, San Antonio is a precious jewel. What most people do not realize is the significant spiritual heritage of San Antonio. The five restored missions that sit on the San Antonio River remind us of a time when bold missionaries came to establish the Gospel among the native population. Though Spain failed in her political conquest, the missions lived on. San Antonio is a perfect pilgrimage destination in Texas.
San Antonio is also a place of desperate need. One out of five children goes to bed hungry every night and over 200,000 live below the poverty line. Whether serving food at the SAMM Center, cleaning brush at one of the historic missions, or working the warehouse at the San Antonio Food Bank, opportunities to serve are abundant.
- Experience the timelessness of God as you spend time in prayer at a 300 year-old Mission Church.
- Participate in candlelight worship in a grotto setting.
- Attend a Mariachi Mass at one of the Historic Mission parishes.
- See the life source of the city; the headwaters of the San Antonio River.
- Immerse yourself in history as you explore the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park.
- Indulge in authentic Tex-Mex food as you journey along the San Antonio Riverwalk.
- Help address issues of poverty and hunger as you serve in a local food bank, distribution center, or homeless shelter.
- Minister to “the least of these of these” by participating in a recreation program for physically and mentally challenged individuals.
- Focus on stewardship as you assist the National Parks Service at the Historic Missions.
Every Wonder Voyage itinerary (mission trip and/or pilgrimage) is personalized to the desires, direction and personality of each group. This itinerary is only a description of the kind of journey we can create for your unique team.
- Day 1 – The Source
Our introduction to San Antonio promises to be a strange one. The first stop in our journey will be an exotic animal farm on the outskirts of the city. There we will confront our fears as we come face-to- face with deadly snakes, spiders and gators. Maybe your team will be lucky enough to arrive on feeding day. This stopover is only a small taste of the surprises in store for your team this week.
- Day 2 – Water of Life
Our second day in San Antonio will be brimming with a combination of service and exploration. In the morning, your team will have the chance to serve kids with disabilities who have been left on the margins of society. Our mission today will be a vital one: showing Christʼs love through laughter and play. It promises to be a transformative experience.
- Day 3 – Mission Road
Today, weʼll help beautify the missions that we enjoyed yesterday. This is a uncommon chance to not only help the parks department, but the people who come to appreciate the missions and the city that takes its identity from them. This is an extraordinarily practical and unusual way to serve the people of San Antonio. In the evening, weʼll venture into downtown San Antonio for a chance for further discovery.
- Day 4 – Come, All Who are Thirsty
Much like the river weʼve been exploring the entire week, our service to Christ branches out to many who are broken, thirsty and desperate. Today weʼll see this in action by working with a local food mission that distributes food to the hungry all over the city. This is a chance for your team to see how just a few people can make a significant difference in their communities through many small acts of service.
- Day 5 – Refreshed
Is there a particular mission that deeply affected you? Is there another way that youʼd like to serve in San Antonio? Today can be a new and different way to aid the people of the city, or today can be a continuation of a task from earlier in the week. How would you like to serve? In the afternoon, your team will be set loose to see anything you may have missed during our weeklong journey. After our relaxing afternoon, weʼll celebrate our week with an authentic and delicious Mexican-style dinner.
- Day 6 – Departure
At your convenience, you will pack up and say goodbye to a fantastic week of exploration, service and encounter. What will you take home with you? The voyage is now in fact just beginning and we pray that you carry fresh perspective and energy with you as you travel.
Legacy in San Antonio, Texas
- *This is the base cost of the trip. Your cost may differ depending on housing, activities, etc.