Known for its beautiful beaches and historic lighthouses, eastern North Carolina is called the Coastal Plain Region. Once inhabited by Native Americans, the area was one of the first places that the British tried to form a settlement. During colonial times, eastern North Carolina was an economic and political powerhouse. In 1903, the Wright Brothers made the area famous with their adventures at Kitty Hawk. More recently, the area is known for the maritime industry, tourism, and military bases.
Your Wonder Voyage to eastern North Carolina immerses you in the history of both the Native inhabitants and some of the earliest European settlers to the area. Opportunities to learn and to serve abound in this region that has been affected by the winds, the tides, and the times. Come explore the Carolinas and be transformed by its beautiful resilience.
- Attend a worship service in a church founded in the 1750’s.
- Contemplate the lives of the people buried in a 300 year old cemetery.
- Take a prayerful walk through an outdoor labyrinth.
- Immerse in the history of the Native and European inhabitants of the region.
- Enjoy a kayak adventure where the river meets the sea.
- Visit the dunes where the first airplane took flight.
- Serve the needs of migrant farm workers.
- Work on a project to conserve the coastal ecosystems.
- Serve a meal at a community kitchen run by local faith groups.
There is not an example itinerary for North Carolina Coast, please contact [email protected] for specific information about this Wonder Voyage.
Legacy in North Carolina Coast
- *This is the base cost of the trip. Your cost may differ depending on housing, activities, etc.